Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

What Would You Have Me Do Without?


It is customary, Lord
to give something up during the season of Lent.
What would you have me do without?
I who have so much.
Chocolate?
Wine?
Sweets?
Swearing?
The list is endless
and I could give up all those things
for the span of 40 days quite easily and almost painlessly.
In your 40 days, you emerged, stronger and more attuned
to all that had to be done,
despite a time constraint
that to our eyes would have seemed hopeless.
We too live in stressful times.
Demands are made of our time,
that leave so little for the important things of life.
We are easily distracted in the wilderness of our lives,
What would you have me do without?
I who have so much
Selfishness?
Conceit?
Envy?
Pride?
I know before I ask,
that the answer might be 'yes'
and the giving up
would be all too real, Lord.
It would be difficult,
painful,
sacrificial,
a real cross to carry for 40 days,
and more?

Forgive me, Father, when I get distracted from my task.
Forgive me those times when I try
to be all things to all men, and fail to be anything to anyone.


Betty Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment