Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

On Faith


“Just because you find that life's not fair, it

Doesn't mean that you just have to grin and bear it.

If you always take it on the chin and wear it,

Nothing will change.


Even if you're little you can do a lot: you

Mustn't let a little thing like ‘little’ stop you.

If you sit around and let them get on top, you

Might as well be saying

You think that it's okay

And that's not right

You have to put it right.”


From Matilda, The Musical


When I was little, I went to see this show, so I’ve always like it. And I also enjoy the book and movie the musical is based on. I feel like this quote shows faith because it reminds us that if we don’t like the way things are, we have to speak up and say something. 


This same concept is what Jesus taught his followers. In fact, in Matthew 17:20, Jesus says, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”


Ever since I got cast in the youth version of Matilda Junior at my middle school, and saw the script for the musical, this quote has stood out to me and I hope it stands out to you, and reminds you to put things right, if you see a need! Be like the seed. The mustard seed!  



Emmeline Violet Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment