Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Variation on St. Patrick’s Breastplate

I arise today through a mighty strength, through the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness, 
of the Creator of creation.

I arise today through the majesty of God’s creation,

Through love for the heavens and for the earth, for the seas and for the rivers,

Through love for the sun and moon and for all the stars,

Through love for high mountains and low valleys and for all creatures.


I arise today through the power of Christ’s example,

Through the hope of seeing Christ in my neighbor,

Through the hope of living in Christ’s Kingdom in this life,

Through the hope of resurrection when I die.


Christ with me,   Christ before me,
Christ behind me,   Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,   Christ above me,
Christ on my right,   Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,   Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.


I arise today by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit,

In hope for wisdom,

In hope for truth,

In hope for intercession.


I arise today through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness 

of the Creator of creation.

Amen



Fergus Tuohy

No comments:

Post a Comment