Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Monday, March 22, 2021

On Hope

This will be a lot more like a meditation if you go read Luke 10: 30-37 first. Otherwise, it’ll just seem like a brilliant bit of television writing from Aaron Sorkin, but you make your own choices.

Leo:  [after Josh finishes an intensive therapy session set up by Leo with a trauma therapist, Josh walks past Leo in a nearby hallway of the White House] How'd it go?

Josh: Did you wait around for me?

Leo:  How'd it go?

Josh:  He thinks I might have an eating disorder.

Leo:  Josh . . .

Josh:  And a fear of rectangles. That's not weird is it? [Pause]     I didn't cut my hand on a glass. I broke a window in my apartment.

Leo:  This guy's walking down the street when he falls into a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, “Hey can you help me?” The doctor writes a prescription and throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, “Father, I'm down in this hole can you help me out?” The priest writes down a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by. The guy shouts up, “Hey Joe it's me — can you help me out?” and the friend jumps down in the hole. Our guy says, “Are you stupid — now we're both down here!?" The friend says, “Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.” [Pause]    As long as I got a job, you got a job, you understand?

                                           West Wing, Season 2 Episode 10


_____________________________________


I know in this pandemic, togetherness and hope are fleeting, but let’s find ways to go and do likewise.



Elin Glenn

No comments:

Post a Comment