Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Monday, March 1, 2021

Meditation on Faith

I like to go out to eat! It’s one of the reasons I’ve preferred to continue working at my deserted downtown office during the pandemic: having an excuse to go out for lunch every day. One of my favorite spots is located near UAB and I make the short drive a couple of times per week. For many months I’d pick up my meal curbside and eat in my truck — but

as restrictions eased, I’d eat inside and sit at a sunny table by the window and enjoy my food. Over these past months, I have sometimes seen an older man standing on the sidewalk next to a building across the street. He’s always neatly dressed, with a suitcase and backpack. Initially, I thought he was waiting for someone to pick him up as if he were going on a trip — but over the weeks I continued to see him periodically, standing by the brick wall with his luggage. I finally realized he was homeless, and that this location must be one of his spots to spend part of his day. Sometimes I had to park near his spot and when I walked by, I’d say hello and he’d say, “Hey!” back. He never asked me for anything, so

I was reluctant to offer, not wanting to offend his dignity. This went on for months through the hot summer and into the chilly days of autumn. He wasn’t always there, but I’d still see him a few times per month: waiting patiently, all his belongings packed up for his trip to nowhere. On especially hot or cold days he’d come to mind and I’d hope he was okay.

A few weeks ago, I saw the man at his spot and decided I should do more than just say hello. I was embarrassed to have waited so long. I purposely parked where I’d have to pass him and as I did, I stopped and asked if I could buy him lunch and bring it out to him. He told me that he’d eaten already, “... at that little stone church over on the hill.” We chatted a few moments and he told me he liked to post himself at that wall on cold, sunny days because the bricks warmed his back and, in the summer, the nearby tree gave good shade. “I enjoy watching people and this is a good spot for it.”

I had a ten in my wallet and pulled it out. He said, “No, I’m good. I’ve got all I need right here.” patting his bags and adding, “The Lord watches over me.” Then he smiled and said, “I’ve seen you come and go. Don’t work too hard, take care of yourself.” I was so surprised that he’d noticed me, just as I’d noticed him. I was touched that he would show concern for my wellbeing. I wished him well and went to lunch and then back to work. We always wave whenever our paths cross now.

The brief interaction with this man is one I will cherish when looking back on this miserable year. Someone I pitied and thought was “waiting on a trip to nowhere” transformed the encounter with just a few words. His humble acceptance of his place in life and faith that God will look after him reassures me that he will indeed be taking a trip one day. Faith is an elusive gift that not all of us will find in our lifetimes. It’s nice to occasionally meet someone who embraces it so simply.

Tom Patchen

No comments:

Post a Comment