Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Friday, February 26, 2021

Faith: A Meditation

Faith: A small word that means many different things. If we use it as a noun then it can mean what religion we may practice, if any. If used as a verb, then it can mean the courage to speak up, the ability to not worry and be calm.

For most of us, we have all heard the saying, “your faith will see you through,” or “have faith,” or “let us have faith that...” All of these sayings have some sort of calm nature about them. How many times have we ourselves prayed for “faith” and courage (usually I say these two together) to get us through life’s many difficult times?

However, we are in a new year. Time to hit the “refresh” button. I wish it were that easy to do. So many times, in the last year and even in the last few days I have had to ask for help in strengthening my faith: faith in myself, faith in the world, even faith in my faith. Perhaps one of

my most favorite Bible passages talks about faith. Luke 17:6 says, “He replied, ‘If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, “Be uprooted and planted in the sea,” and it will obey you.’”That is a big job for such a teeny tiny seed.

I have tried to live my life as a tiny mustard seed. Never giving up, never losing hope, and never, ever failing to be amazed at God’s grace and mercy. He has seen me through a lot of tough times.

Let us never let go of our faith in each other. Together, just think what we can move!

Bernard Hufft

No comments:

Post a Comment