Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Old Testament: Jeremiah 25:30-38
Psalm 119:145-176 * 128, 129, 130
Epistle: Romans 10: 14-21
Gospel: John 10:1-18
The reading from Romans 10 today resonates with me in several ways. I grew up in an evangelical household, and quoting scripture was very common. The minute I started this reading, I remembered the words: there is no difference between Jew and Greek in the eyes of the Lord, and all who call on him shall be saved; “faith comes from hearing and hearing comes through the word of God.” I do not remember much else about this passage, other than learning at an early age that God loved me and everyone else too. I remember Father Tommie’s lesson when he said it is okay to make America great, as long as the mindset is not to make ONLY America Great, or no one else can receive the benefits from living in America. I think of those who have little, and whose lives are harder due to laws created by those who have money and power, and are obsessed with having more. 
The end of this chapter takes us back to Isaiah, and the prophet states “I have been found by those who did not seek me; and I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me.” However, of Israel he says, “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and contrary people.” Some days are discouraging, and it appears as though it will always be the rich getting more, and preventing the least of those in our communities from moving forward.

My faith teaches me God loves all of us, regardless of how rich or poor, the color of our skin, our gender, or sexuality, or how high we are esteemed in society. None of this matters; we are all children of God! St Andrew’s worship and our members help me remember this unconditional love, as we go to the rail together to take of God’s Body and Blood. I pray I will show God’s love to someone who is not looking for it, and did not ask for it, because that is exactly how I found it. God’s Peace.

Angela Williamson

No comments:

Post a Comment