Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Old Testament: Isaiah 49:1-7
Psalm 71:1-14
Epistle: 1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Gospel: John 12:20-36


“While I was in my mother’s womb, he named me.” Isaiah 49:1


Scripturally, to name a thing is to have dominion over it. In the priestly creation story God names many created wonders: land, sea, sky, and day. God even names the darkness “night.” Thus he even has power over the darkness. Furthermore, each creative act is followed by the formula of divine approbation, “and it was good.” God not only has power over all created things, but he also instills in them an intrinsic goodness and purposefulness. All creation serves God’s purposes.
The remaining lections also pick up themes of omnipotence, teleology and concomitant servanthood. The psalmist cries to God for his protection. The New Testament lection speaks of God’s surprising use of various gifts of persons despite their contrary, outward appearance. In the Gospel, Jesus anticipates the ultimate reach of his teleology, his servanthood willingly.
In all these lections I take both comfort and challenge. I am, have been, and will be named by the Lord. Named for a purpose. Nor am I unique in this. All persons may claim such.
As I reached the half century mark this year, the uncertainties of middle age loomed clear. My parents died, yet I remained. I began a new career in entirely different field. I sold my childhood home and packed my belongings. Dear things were lost. The uncertain darkness of the world was palpable. I forgot my divine name for a time.
Yet now I recall a God has power over the darkness. I have new hope, new purpose. I and my pet have a new home. I rejoice in a renewed partnership. Things once lost have been found. I enjoy the fellowship of new coworkers in new tasks. I am spiritually renewed since my sojourn on Cursillo literally a year ago at the time of this writing.
I am recalling my name, my purpose. Where this leads, I do not yet fully know. But I am open to whatever servanthood lies ahead. 


Ken Floyd

No comments:

Post a Comment