Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Friday, April 5, 2019

Friday, April 5, 2019

Old Testament: Jeremiah 23:1-18
Psalm 95, 102 * 107:1-32 
Epistle: Romans 8:28-39
Gospel: John 6:52-59
“Lord, hear my prayer, and let my cry come before you; hide not your face from me in the day of my trouble. Incline your ear to me; when I call, make haste to answer me, For my days drift away like smoke, and my bones are hot as burning coals.” Psalm 102: 1-3
The author of this Psalm is uncertain. However, many believe that David wrote these passages at a time when Israel was held in captivity. In fact, it is often referred to as the “Prayer of the afflicted.” With beauty and elegance, he speaks about the suffering of these people who are desperately beseeching help from God.
They are imploring him to grant a swift resolution to their problems. Like the Nation of Israel, most of us turn to God when we find ourselves in unbearable situations — even in less-frightening difficulties. We know that we cannot handle all of life’s hardships alone.

I love these poetic verses from the Prayers of the People, which echo this psalm:  “Lord in your mercy. Hear our prayer.” They affirm my Anglican truth.

Beverly Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment