Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Old Testament: Genesis 17:1-8
Gospel: John 8: 51-59
Psalm 105


“...The fact is, before Abraham was born, I AM.”  John 8:58

I AM who I am, with no beginning and no end. It is I (God). I AM that I am (God). I AM is God, the Great I AM.

I AM is a subject and a verb. A linking verb, it links “I am” to (fill in the blank).

I am that I am. I am who I am. I am God. So who are we, you and I? We should recognize who we are at our beginning and our end with the great I AM.

We are chosen. We are God’s children. We are loved. We are forgiven. We are born of the great I AM. We are given much, and all he asks is that we obey his commandments.

I will give you this land forever, and I will be your God. Genesis 17:8.

How is it possible to obey his commandments when life is so very hard? It is possible because we were born of the great I AM. We need only? to

Depend on the Lord for strength (and to) always go to him for help.  Psalm 105:4.

He is ours at our beginning and our end. He is I AM.

Faye Knopf

No comments:

Post a Comment