Welcome!

St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Birmingham, AL is a welcoming and affirming congregation of diverse Christians who are committed to Jesus' command to love and care for our neighbors, whoever they may be. You'll find posts on this blog by our Rector, and also by our parishioners. During the season of Lent, there will be daily meditations on the readings. At other seasons of the year, there will be sporadic postings. Thanks for reading!

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Old Testament: Deuteronomy 30:15–20
Gospel: Luke 9:18–25
Psalm 1
Having come to the Episcopal Church only a couple of years ago, Lent and this season before Easter are still new and somewhat mysterious for me. I see it as a time of prayer and penance, a time of charity and abstinence, and a time of denial of the ego, indeed the denial of self.  All of this in preparation to celebrate Christ’s victory over death and sin, and more personally, to renew my own relationship with Jesus. It’s something of a spring cleaning – getting rid of the clutter so there is as much room as possible for Jesus and all that he brings.
Denial of ego or self, renouncement of fleshly concerns, and surrender to God and his will -- this is the path I see spelled out in today’s lessons.  
The Collect:  “Direct us O Lord, in all our doings … and by your mercy, obtain everlasting life”
Old Testament:  “loving the Lord your God, walking in his ways…...then you shall live.”
The Psalm:  “Their delight is in the law of the Lord,
And they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water, 
Bearing fruit in due season, with leaves that do not wither.”
The Gospel:  “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.  For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it.  What does it profit them if they gain the whole world, but lose or forfeit themselves?”
In all of this is the message for us to get the self, the ego, the “I” out of the way. Then there is room for God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus. Easier said than done. We seem to live in an “all about me” material world of greed, misplaced passion, fear and anger. The life that Christ calls us to is one of the Spirit – of love, compassion, and joy. Really, the cross he asks us to bear in that world, is more a gift than a burden. If we can only be still enough to realize that.  
There is another passage from Matthew that is part of the reading for Compline, that talks about the cross that we should bear, the burden that Jesus has to offer. It gives me great comfort:
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
I have an odd scenario that I play out in my head sometimes: I drive up to the curb where Jesus is waiting. Instead of opening the door and getting in, he walks around to my side and opens the driver’s door. I slide over and let him drive and I feel like the weight of the world has lifted from my shoulders. I need to take up my cross and let him drive more often.

Barry and Robin Ousley

No comments:

Post a Comment